Wednesday, January 16, 2008

For Sale...

Good early morning, Sistas!

I was able to drag this lazy bag of bones out of bed early this morning and thought of something I wanted to blog. Then realized what I had ready to wear to work just was NOT going to work. Part of it was a turtleneck, and yes, I know it's going to be COLD today, but this 50 year old woman can't hardly handle turtlenecks anymore. So I'll probably be rushing to finish this.

We watched American Idol last night. I love to watch the true singers transform. But I think this countdown is all about how weird some people can be. Kim said that he wondered if they paid people to act so silly, but I think people just want the opportunity to be in the spotlight - their 15 minutes of fame(?) if you will. I think people are voluntarily weird! Then they think the world (or at least Simon) is against them when they are not chosen. If you caught the show last night you know what I mean. On a side note, I think we're seeing a "kinder, gentler" group of judges this year.

What caught my eye last night between all the try-outs on Idol was a commercial for a new reality game show where they hook people up to a lie detector and ask them difficult, embarrasing questions. They have to answer correctly, and it appears, in front of loved-ones. It seems to me, the producers are looking for the most intimate (and I don't mean just sexual) thoughts and feelings. Now all I've seen are the commercials because the show has not started yet. But everytime they advertise it I think, "How awful!" This only seems to have the potential to hurt peoples feelings and damage relationships. And, oh yeah, earn the participants money. Will we do ANYTHING for money (or fame)? Why would anyone want to tell their deepest, darkest, most embarassing secrets? Why would anyone want to admit that they truly "don't care about the starving people in Africa?" (An actual question shown on the commercial)

God's Word says, "as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." (Psalm 103:12) God has removed our most embarrasing moments and even thoughts - why would we want to go back? Why would we risk our most valuable relationships? Why would we tell millions of people our most intimate faults? I think we've put our very selves up for sale. How much money will it take to hurt the ones we love...to ruin our reputation? I don't think it's worth it. Could I use $100,000+? YEEEESSSS. But it's not worth my family, friends or even my self-esteem.

What's so sad is that it seems that we will do anything for money. Then when/if we get the money, was it worth it? I don't think so.

S

No comments: