Friday, April 18, 2008

Thus Far

Last night we had a WONDERFUL covered-dish event with our WOW Bible Study Ladies. We had not been together since before Easter, and it was so good to gather for fellowship. We sang Come Thou Fount as our hymn prayer, and the second verse says, "Here I raise my Ebenezer." Ebenezer - Stone of Help - from I Samuel 7:12 -"Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen.He named it Ebenezer, saying, 'thus far has the Lord helped us.'" This happened as the Israelites were battling their old enemy, the Philistines.

Do you have an old enemy that just won't let you go? I think we all do...something that nips at our heels all the time...something that seems to pop up around the next corner. We think we're done with it, and it raises its ugly head...again. I can't tell you how many times I think I've gotten over something only to have it in my face yet again. What's the only way we can win the battle? With the Lord, thus far the Lord. We can't overcome those enemies without God as our helper.

I think I need an Ebenezer to remind me that "thus far" God has helped me. If He gets me "thus far" won't He help me go further? He wants us to be free of our enemies, He really does want us to be victorious. Find yourself an Ebenezer - something that visually reminds you how much the Lord has done for you "thus far." And remember that He will carry you even further.

No comments: