Friday, April 11, 2008

What do people see when you leave?

For my walk at the Park this morning, I wore my Youth t-shirt from a couple years ago. It's black and on the back is a big orange sunrise with the words "God is Great." As I passed people during my walk I wondered how many people noticed the graphic...I'm not sure how they could miss it, really. But it started me thinking...what do people see when I leave? Have I left them with a glimpse of the love of God or of my selfishness? Unfortunately for some reason this week, I'm afraid it's been the latter. The words of Psalm 42:5a came to me the other day, "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?" Truth is, I don't know why I have been downcast lately. I am so blessed, as I was reminding in song this morning.

But because I have been downcast lately, I'm afraid people have not gotten a glimpse of God as I walked away. I want to change that. The second half of verse 5 of Psalm 42 offers a remedy for this situation, "Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God....therefore I will remember you." That's the prescription for my "blues" - hoping in God, remembering all God has done for me and praising my God. The focus is on Him and not on me. Which is my problem 90% of the time!

So I ask you, when people encounter you, what do they see when you leave? Is it you, the world, or is it God's grace, mercy, forgiveness, love, acceptance. Put your hope in God and praise him!

Love,

S

PS: How about American Idol! God is good!

No comments: