Monday, February 16, 2009

Get me through the normal!

We are blessed with a great 15-year-old son. He is responsible, respectful and thoughtful. But still the normal teenage issues can be enough to blow your mind! Knowing when to say "yes", when to say "no" and when to say "Let's just wait and see." Things could be so much more difficult, and I don't mean to complain, but sometimes this old brain just can't take another request.

I was that way last night. After I picked him up from yet another night away from home, here come two more requests, and I hit overload. I did have the presence of mind not to make an issue out of it right then - pick your battles. But as I said my prayers last night I said, "Lord, get me through the normal." It's normal requests, normal growing up and away things, normal tough for parents to let go things, normal difficult to understand where the time has gone things. For heaven's sake, he was just 5 years old a couple years ago!

K and I have both gone through these same emotional upheavals this weekend. At least his was Saturday and mine was Sunday. I tried to boost him up on Saturday, and he boosted me up last night.

So, today I thank God for "normal" issues...for a husband who can relate and nourish...for a son who is thoughtful and tries to understand...as I pray for strength to get through the normal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.