Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Quiet

It's quiet around here this afternoon. Preschool has gone home for the Thanksgiving holidays; other office staff gone for the day - so that leaves me and one pastor in the office this afternoon. Phones are silent, folding machine turned off, copier waiting for requests. Unusually quiet. We don't always like the quiet, do we? If we're honest, we don't know what to do with it. Most of my day is filled with noise - people coming and going, radio, family, TV, telephones. So when the quiet comes in, I don't know what to do, either!

Right now it's kind of nice. It's time to reflect and relax some. I don't mean relaxing as in putting your feet up, closing your eyes and taking a nap. But a time for the senses to relax and maybe regroup. Time to just be - even if it's for 5 minutes...no deadlines...no immediate requests...no noise. Time to take a deep breath, relax those shoulders, and find the calm within. Nice.

I plan to enjoy this for these last few minutes of the work day before I am bombarded with more noise when I get in traffic, stop by the grocery store and head home to start supper. I hope you find a few minutes of quiet in the busyness of your life - holiday season and all. If you have to, run to the bathroom and lock the door for just 5 minutes. Sometimes, it will help bring a calm back into your spirit, and then you can face the rest of the noisy day.

No comments: