Saturday, February 9, 2008

Heartaches

I have a fresh heartache and it's not for me...it's for my baby boy. He had a major disappointment today, and my heart hurts for him. Unfortunately, I know it's one of many more to come. Not that he hasn't had disappointment before...but this one is a little different. It's one where you know in your heart it should have turned out different, but it didn't.

I won't embarrass him by going into any detail. It's really not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. But aren't we all like that...small things disappoint us that seem so huge at the time? I'm a firm believer that God works things out for our best. I also believe that disappointments can sometimes point us in new directions - maybe the direction we were meant to go all along.

It just takes time to see it from that perspective. And that's what it will take for my son to get over it....time. Parents need time, too. We want to make excuses, vent, and talk about the unfairness of life. In fact, sometimes I think parents have a more difficult time letting it go than children. It's because a piece of our heart has been broken, too.

I saw it about an hour ago, though...a smile. It showed up as life moved on. It showed up as a new adventure began. It showed up in the midst of heartache. Life moves on...and so must we.

No comments: