Thursday, October 16, 2008

Prayers, Answers & Confessions

In my prayer time this morning, I asked God to give me the heart of a servant so that I could serve Him. Be careful what you ask for, especially when it's in-line with God's will, because you just might get it. Or...be shown how far you are from it.

Of course, I am the latter. God has hit me square between the eyes as to how far away my heart is from being a servant's heart with two real, live examples. And it's not even noon yet!

I delivered something to the administrative assistant at another church. I had never met her before, but she seems to be a precious woman with a heart for serving God's people. As we discussed our common work, I could see in her a willingness to serve the people of her congregation that I seem to have lost. Oh, I remember when it was there. But now, after almost 10 years, it feels too much like work and not serving.

The other example happened right here in the office. Something I should have done but did not want to, was gladly done by a volunteer helping out this week. In my defense, I have back trouble which keeps me from doing some of the more physical, lifting duties. I have overdone it before and been in severe pain. However, I could hear God saying to my heart - you should have done that...or at least taken the lead.

So here I sit - examining my less-than a servant's heart. I confess that I have lost my passion somewhere along the way. I believe I have a new prayer - for forgiveness, strength to make the turn and conversion of my heart to one much more humble.

No comments: