Thursday, October 23, 2008

Thought for the Day

Y'all!!! It has been a busy week. I meant to post this yesterday, then started this morning and now it's afternoon. So let me see if I can get this thought out...it may be too late or too disjointed!

On Monday evening I went to a jewlery party. Heaven knows I have enough, but love to see the new stuff. The sales lady asked who wore a watch, and then proceeded to say that our watch needs a "buddy." Prefferably, of course, a piece of their jewlery! I smiled to myself Wednesday morning as I thought about that - a watch buddy! Neat marketing tool. Is it any wonder that we are swayed that the things of this world!

But I also thought about the things we do to "sell" Christianity. Why isn't a relationship with Jesus attractive on its own? We seem to put our trust in things of this world that are more readily seen, felt and touched. In my devotions this morning I read part of Jeremiah 10. In verse 5, God, through the prophet Jeremiah describes Israel's (our) idols as such, "Like a scarecrow in a melon patch, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good." In other words, they ware worthless - they can do NOTHING. For some reason they make us feel like SOMETHING...but it all depends on looks, perception and the world view.

I think my favorite part of my devotion this morning was this, "Tell them this: 'These gods, who did not make heavens and the earth, will perish from the earth and from under the heavens.'" But God made the earth by his power; he founded the world by his wisdom and stretched out the heavens by his understanding. (Jer. 10:11-12) Our idols will eventually fail...by the heavens and the earth that God created. Why do we look to the creation to be our gods instead of the Creator? May we realize that, "He who is the Portion of Jacob is not like these, for he is the Maker of all things, including Israel, the tribe of his inheritance - the Lord Almighty is his name." Let us never forget!!!

No comments: