Sunday, July 6, 2008

Wonderful Weekend!

I'm sitting here watching the Braves in the top of the 16th inning - that's right 16, five hours of baseball after a 2-hour rain delay. Don't you know they're tired! I've been reflecting back on what a nice weekend it's been. Friday we had a family barbecue and that evening went over to friends for fireworks. Saturday was a lazy day, and in between the laziness was some house cleaning.

Today it would have been VERY, VERY easy to sleep in. But K and I both woke up in time for church. (I think maybe God was nudging us.) I know that there's ALWAYS a blessing waiting for you at church - it may be in a hymn, a sermon, a choir anthem, or the greeting of a friend. However, the flesh is countering with the comforts of a Sunday morning bed...but not this time.

My blessing today was powerful to me. It's summer and it's 4th of July weekend, so as is normal, attendance was down. I noticed the same for the choir - we had 5. So I expected that our Music Director would play a piano solo. But no...here came the familiar tune of the Battle Hymn of the Republic, and the choir began to sing - softly, VERY softly. Then I noticed that the congregation little by little joined in. I was so touched. The hymn was a favorite of all, so I know deep down they wanted to sing. But, to me it was a true picture of the church, the body of Christ, pulling together to get the job done, helping each other out. Tears came to my eyes, as I tried to sing along with this fav! I was truly blessed.

God is good...all the time!

No comments: